For the American Bride…
What was it like, the first time you came to Turkey? Was it for work, for travel, or simply following your heart perhaps?
Those of you who stayed in Turkey, we are curious to know:
- When did you first visit Turkey? Were there any differences in what you knew or heard about Turkey or Turkish people, and what you personally observed when you came here?
- How did you meet your (Turkish) husband? How did you decide to get married? Did anyone in your family think it was a bad idea?
- Are you a fluent Turkish speaker? How long did it take you to learn enough Turkish to be able to independently take care of your own affairs?
- What’s the dominant language at your home? If you have children, do they speak both Turkish and English?
- What’s the attitude/stance of Turkish people you meet towards you? What’s their initial reaction when they hear you’re American?
- What do you miss the most about the U.S? When you go back for a visit, are there special things, places, people you definitely want to see/do/visit?
These are just a few of the things we think about. Please feel free to write about other stuff that you want to discuss regarding your experience with living in Turkiye as an American woman.
If you are an American woman married to a Turk, living in Türkiye (or other country), we invite you to share your story with us. Please add your comments here, or if you’d rather participate more privately, contact us directly. If you have friends who’ve been through a similar experience, please invite them here too. Thanks!